These resources were collected in response to our survey. Libraries requested support in the areas of funding, technology and an understanding of what other libraries have accomplished in this time.
Join our post pandemic programming slack channel to share ideas, get tips on post pandemic programming, and find opportunities for funding. Join here.
Technology Training and Support
- 18 Tech Tools for Content Creation, Coding, VR, Audio, and Video
- A list of 18 digital tools for content creation, interactive learning, coding, virtual reality, graphic design, video, audio editing, and games culled by nine tech-forward librarians.
- The Library Information Technology Association (LITA) Guides
Provides information and guidance on topics related to cutting edge technology for library and IT specialists
- Virtual Programming Tips
- Moving beyond technology requirements, Public Libraries Online, presents tips to provide a virtual program with an in-person atmosphere.
Libraries Respond to COVID-19
- 2021 State of America’s Libraries, Special Report COVID-19 (ALA)
- ALA’s annual report, with the year’s focus on the understanding of the impact of COVID-19 on libraries in their schools, communities, and campuses and offers library workers, and everyone associated with the profession, some insight into best practices during an extraordinary and challenging year.
- Designing for the Future — the Post Pandemic Library
- An article examining seven fundamental issues that libraries confront as they plan for a post-COVID-19 future and how these affect library space planning and design.
- The Changing Role of Medical Librarians in a COVID-19 World
- An article examining the role of medical libraries and librarians amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- How COVID-19 Has Transformed Reference Services for Public and Academic Libraries
- A Library Journal article discussing the adaptation of reference services during the pandemic as well as in the long term.
- How Public Libraries Are Responding to the Pandemic
- On April 9, the Public Library Association (PLA) announced the release of the broadest survey to date—with 2,545 unique responses nationwide, representing 28% of all US public libraries—on how public libraries are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. The findings show that as public libraries close their buildings to the public, staff continue to serve their communities in innovative ways.
- Library Priorities Post COVID-19
- A best practices list from Beyond Bookshelves: Reflections of a 21st Librarian author John Connolly.
- Leadership During COVID-19
- A reflection of leadership during COVID-19 from the ALSC Managing Children’s Services Committee blog.
- Public libraries launch, expand services during COVID-19 pandemic | News and Press Center (ala.org)
- ALA press release discussing the PLA survey “How Public Libraries are Responding to the Pandemic.”
- The Recovery Will Happen in Public Space
- An article that discusses the use of public spaces in communities as cities begin to reopen.
- Responding to Covid-19
A fantastic resource out of the UK that addresses many of the concerns our respondents articulated – publisher copyright information, program ideas, safety guidelines, online trainings and more
- Visions of Success: Academic Libraries in a Post COVID World
- A Library Journal article discussing how COVID-19 will alter Library services in the long term presenting both pros and cons.
- Where Are We? The Latest on Reopening Strategies
- Library leaders showcase how things have changed, since March 2020, how they have adapted, their takeaways,and the continuing challenges in this Library Journal article.
- Beyond Books: Libraries Cure Pandemic Boredom with Virtual Classes, Crafts and Story Time
- A Washington Post article that surveys how different libraries pivoted to meet community needs during the pandemic.
- News: NILPPA Update: What is a Public Program, Anyway?
- American Library Association Public Programs Office offers its research in defining a “public program” beyond the Institute of Museum and Library Services definition.
- People Share How Their Libraries Have Adapted to COVID
- Patrons share their unique library stories and programs during COVID-19 for ilovelibraries.org.
- Reimagining and Repurposing Engagement During COVID-19
- A webinar from “Project for Public Spaces” features conversations focused on a variety of perspectives, tools and experiences related to engagement practices considering the difficulties posed by COVID-19.
- Tips for Virtual, Outdoor, In-door Programming During COVID-19 for Children, Youth and Family
- After the Pandemic: A Toolkit for Transformation
- A toolkit by Institute for the Future that analyzes areas in society of injustice and inequity. The toolkit presents data, statistics, and thought-provoking questions organizations may want to consider.
- After the Pandemic: What Happens Next?
- A toolkit by Institute for the Future that projects on four different scenarios of a post-COVID-19 world in regards to inequality, injustice, and division.
- As COVID Continues to Pressure Kids and Communities, Libraries Lean In to Support Mental Health
- The School Library Journal provides examples and recommendations on how Libraries can serve as mental health assets for children.
- Homelessness & Public Space During the Pandemic: Seven Takeaways
- A discussion of how homelessness and other vulnerable populations have become the crisis within the crisis of COVID and how to support these vulnerable populations.
- How to Heal the “Mass Trauma” of Covid-19
- Covid-19 has been traumatic in ways in which we’ve never seen before. This article from BBC looks at the ways we live and work together, and view each other as common citizens, stating “everything means something different in the viral era, and with potentially traumatic effect.”
- Implementing a Trauma-Informed Approach
- An article discussing the implementation of a trauma-informed framework into libraries and the partnership with Trauma Informed Library Transformation (TILT) that helped to do so.